This Green Beans and Bacon recipe is a tasty and cost-effective side dish that will add color as well as flavor to your next dinner!
Green Beans and Bacon
Green Beans and Bacon recipe is incredibly easy to put together. This recipe always make a delicious side meal for holidays or weeknight dinners.
It will be at its best if fresh green beans can be used—the flavor and crispness of fresh green beans can’t be beaten, but frozen works just as well!
How to make Green beans and bacon in five easy steps:
- Boil the water – Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Cook & chill the Green Beans – Add the green beans and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Cook the bacon – over medium-high heat until the fat begins to render.
- Add the Onions and Garlic – Stir in onions and garlic; let cook for 1 minute.
- Combine – Stir in the green beans, season with salt and pepper, and stir in the bacon.
How long to make Green Beans and Bacon?
This recipe can be done in 30 minutes!
How to know green beans are fresh?
The easiest way to test the freshness of green beans is to bend them—if they snap in half, they are fresh and ready to go! If they bend and don’t break, they are likely a little past their prime but still usable.
Are green beans healthy?
Absolutely! They are rich in Vitamins A, C, and K, as well as folic acid and fiber (great for gut health). Don’t worry, the quick sauté in the bacon fat don’t make the dish altogether unhealthy, though obviously adding bacon increases the fat content. In this case, I used Turkey bacon because I’m not really a fan of pork; however, you can use any bacon of your choice!
How long do Green Beans and Bacon last in the fridge?
This dish can last up to one week in the refrigerator, though it is definitely best enjoyed fresh so the green beans can be as crisp as possible!
What to serve with Green Beans and Bacon?
This is a very versatile side dish—it can go along with steak, chicken, pork,Pot Roast, and even fish. Add some form of potatoes for starch to round out the dinner plate!
- Quick and Easy oven roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Butter Potatoes with Rosemary
- Baked Sweet Potato – Oven And Air Fryer
- Easy Roasted Chicken
- Grilled Fish
- Finish with lemon juice, cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar for some acidity.
- Replace a tablespoon of bacon fat with butter if you like some buttery flavored green beans.
- Mushrooms lend some of its umami flavors to the green beans and take it yet to another level.
- Grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled feta cheese can also be added just before serving.
- Add toasted pecans for some crunch.
Other delicious sides that are perfect for holidays or just weeknight dinners
- Black-Eyed Peas Salad – Loaded with lots of vegetables, inexpensive to make, easy to prep, and absolutely delicious.
- Sauteed Mushrooms – makes a decadent side dish.
- Roasted sweet potatoes – So simple, yet so delicious!
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes – a perfect compliment to just about any meal.
- Crispy Oven-roasted yuca fries – They are as good as potato fries but they have more character.
- Crispy Plantain fries – Try these fries in place of potato fries, you will like it.
Easy Skillet Green Beans and Bacon
- 1 pound green beans trimmed
- 6 bacon strips
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add water to a large pot and let it come to a boil. Add the green beans and salt and let it boil for about five minutes or until green in color and crisp-tender. (The water should be just above the beans).
- Drain the beans and place them in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain again and pat dry.
- Cook the bacon in a large pan until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and chop up to pieces.
- Remove the excess bacon grease from the pan, leaving about 2 tablespoons in the pan.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent—about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red chili flakes. Stir on medium-high until just fragrant, about 1 more minute.
- Turn the heat down to medium, and add the green beans. Season with salt and black pepper, and cook till heated through about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the bacon pieces and stir for two more minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Let’s Connect! You can find me on Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with all of you!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen
Saturday 30th of January 2021
I was introduced to this recipe by an Italian friend. The longer you cook the green beans on a low heat, the better it gets. I cook until the beans are brown. You can also add Parmesan cheese at the end.