The Best Sauteed Mushrooms makes a decadent side dish. The Mushrooms are sauteed in Oil, Margarine or butter and it results in a meaty and rich side dish.
This sauteed mushroom recipe is a super-easy one-pot meal, rich in flavor and straightforward. All you have to do is to saute the mushrooms in a little bit of Oil. Leave them to release their juice, let them simmer in the juice. The Mushrooms will shrink, become tender, and deeply browned. Add the soy sauce and Oil. Season with pepper and some salt if necessary and serve.
Sauteed mushrooms recipe is quite a straightforward one. It’s hard to overcook them because they have a strong internal structure. However, it can still be overcooked if we are not careful, and this will cause the mushrooms to lose moisture and become shriveled. It is, therefore, advisable to keep an eye on it during the cooking process.
As a kid, my grandma always brought us fresh mushrooms whenever she comes to visit us in the city, and my mum made Mushrooms with spinach with it. It was so good that we never have enough of it. My moms’ recipe was the only one I knew for a long time until I started exploring other options and I discovered there was more to mushrooms than my moms’ super delicious recipe.
Mushrooms are a suitable replacement for Meat in soups, stews or stir-fries.
What type of Mushroom can I use for this recipe?
Choose mushrooms that are meatier like Shiitakes, cremini, the white button mushroom or portobello.
Look out for mushrooms with large whole intact caps and minimal stems.
To Prepare the mushrooms:
- Remove the woody stems of the portobello and shiitake
- The tender stems of the white button the cremini can either be trimmed and cooked together with the cap or simply cook them as is.
- Try to slice the mushroom as equal size as possible to ensure even sauteing.
- When the Mushroom gets inside the Oil, it will absorb the Oil and seem like it’s about to burn. Don’t fret. Just leave it to cook. It will sweat after a few minutes.
- Adding melted butter is optional, but it does give the mushrooms an extra layer of flavor.
Best Sauteed Mushrooms Recipe
- 11/2 lb white button mushroom cremini, Shitte or
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Ginger minced
- 1 Onion Small
- 3 Tbsp Soy sauce
- parsley or scallion
- Black pepper
- Rinse the Mushrooms and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel or a paper towel
- Melt 2 Tbsp Oil in a skillet. Add Onion Ginger and Garlic and stir fry until they become aromatic about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the Mushroom. Cover and leave to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes occasionally stirring until the mushrooms have released their moisture.
- Once all the moisture is evaporated, add the extra one tablespoon of Oil and continue to stir until the mushrooms become dark brown.
- Add the soy sauce and black pepper and stir. The mushrooms will become brown and tender and will get glazed in the sauce.
- Top with Cilantro and eat as is, serve over rice or pasta, mix with salad, use it in wraps...
Fun fact about Mushrooms
Do you know that Mushrooms are more closely related in DNA to humans than to plants?
If you make this Sauteed Mushrooms recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen