The classic Nigerian Salad recipe is very easy to make, it’s very filling and it’s very tasty. It is an anything-goes type of food. It’s versatile enough to serve in smaller portions as an appetizer, or as one hearty bowlful main dish.
Bear it in mind that the vegetables need not be leafy to merit a role in the salad bowl. This delightful Salad consists of vegetables both raw and cooked, pasta, Eggs and more. With all these ingredients, it’s sure that this Salad makes a hearty meal in itself but it can also be paired with the Jollof rice, Fried rice, Fried Chicken and even more.
The central ingredients are Lettuce and Cabbage but it’s surrounded by Tomato, pasta, Eggs, Cucumber, Baked Beans and sweet corn. All these ingredients make this salad economical enough to entertain a crowd and like with most salads, it’s also quite flexible. For instance, Potato can be used as a substitute for the pasta.
There are a couple of things that make this Salad unique and in my own opinion I think the dressing is one of the top things but I realize that this dressing is not sold everywhere. So I did some research and I came across a recipe very close to the original Heinz dressing. Recipe below:
My makeshift Heinz dressing
2 Tbsp of white vinegar
6 Tbsp of Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp of Icing sugar
2 Tsp of Mustard (optional)
Below is the detailed video on how to make this salad:
This salad will serve 5 people as a main meal and up to 8 or 10 as a side meal.
- Dressing tends to make lettuce limp, it is, therefore, advisable to mix the salad at the last possible moment before serving in order to keep the leaves crisp.
- Try to get a balance when adding the dressing; too much dressing will overwhelm the salad likewise, too little dressing will make the salad tasteless
- Make sure all your ingredients are free from excess water, as the excess water will prevent the dressing from adhering to your salad.
- It is best to use ripe but hard Tomatoes. Soft juicy tomatoes will get the salad wet.
- It’s best to serve this salad cold!
Classic Nigerian Salad
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Cups Lettuce Shredded
- 2 Cups Cabbage Shredded
- 2 Tomatoes ripe and hard
- 1 Cup pasta or boiled potatoes
- 2 Boiled Eggs Large
- 1 Cucumber Medium size
- 8 ounces Baked Beans
- 8 ounces sweet corn
- 8 Tbsp Heinz Salad Cream
- Prepare all your vegetables and wash them thoroughly in cold running Water.
- Boil the Eggs and boil the Pasta with a little Salt till al-dente
- Thinly slice your cabbage and Lettuce, Cut the Tomatoes into little Cubes, you can grate your Carrots or cut them into little cubes and cube the Cucumber also.
- Add everything inside a Bowl except the Eggs and the Cream then cover it with a plastic wrap or tight-fitting lid and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Remove it from the Fridge when you are ready to use and toss it together. Lay the cut boiled Eggs over the salad. Serve with the classic Heinz salad dressing. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen