If you haven’t tried Jollof spaghetti yet, I seriously recommend giving it a shot. It’s a tasty and unique dish that is perfect for spicing up your usual pasta nights. This recipe uses one pot and it’s ready in 30 minutes.
Jollof Pasta Recipe
Spaghetti Jollof is a delicious fusion of the popular Nigerian Jollof Rice. This dish combines the rich, spicy flavors of Jollof sauce with the comforting, familiar texture of spaghetti. The result is a delicious meal that’s flavorful and filling!
Typically, you prepare Jollof spaghetti by simmering the pasta in a flavourful, spicy tomato-based sauce similar to jollof rice. You make the sauce with a blend of onion, tomato, pepper, and spices such as curry powder, thyme, and bay leaves.
Next, the spaghetti cooks in the sauce until completely absorbed, giving it a rich, bright red hue and richness. Enjoy this versatile dish alone or serve it as a side dish with grilled or fried chicken, beef, or fish.
The best part about Jollof spaghetti, in my opinion, is how versatile and customizable it is. It’s a fantastic way to get creative in the kitchen and put your own spin on the dish.
- The spice level is up to you, so if you like your food spicy, add more habanero. If you want something milder, cut back on the amount used.
- Throw in vegetables of your choice. Some ideas include bell peppers, carrots, peas, or corn. It’s also a great way to use up those leftover veggies in the fridge!
- Add cooked chicken, shrimp, or beef to the jollof spaghetti for a more protein-packed meal. Simply cook your preferred protein and mix it in with the spaghetti during step 9
- You can use different types of pasta like linguine, fettuccine, or rotini. The choice is yours!
Ingredients For Making Jollof Spaghetti
Make amazing jollof spaghetti with the following staple ingredients and aromatic spices:
- Red bell peppers, tomatoes, scotch bonnet, and onions – for making the sauce. The habanero brings heat and spiciness to the sauce. If you’re not a fan of spicy food, you can use less or omit it altogether.
- Onions, garlic, and fresh ginger – add depth to the sauce
- Paprika, thyme, curry powder, bay leaves, bouillon powder, salt, and pepper – essential for flavoring the sauce.
- Broth – chicken, beef, or vegetable broth will work
- optional – You can also add some optional veggies like peas, sweet corn, and carrots for extra color and nutrition. And if you want to make it a full meal, you can add some cooked protein of your choice, like diced chicken, shrimp, or tofu.
How to Make Jollof Spaghetti step-by-step
- Blend bell pepper, scotch bonnet, tomatoes, and onion until smooth.
- Sauté onion, garlic, and ginger in oil, then add tomato paste.
- Mix in blended sauce, spices, and broth, and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente.
- Stir in vegetables, if using, and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with protein and a side dish.
Serving Jollof Spaghetti
- Serve with Protein like Fried Chicken Recipe, Crispy Fried Shrimp, Flavorful Shrimp Scampi, Air Fryer Fried Chicken, BBQ Beef Ribs, Chicken Marsala, Crispy Chicken Parmesan, and Chicken Cacciatore; add extra protein and texture to the meal.
- Plantains: Fried plantains add some sweetness to the meal.
- Serve salad and Coleslaw with a fresh and crisp Black Eyed Peas Salad, Salmon Salad Recipe for added nutrients and freshness.
- Steamed vegetables like Steamed broccoli, carrots, or green beans, Healthy Roasted Vegetables will make a healthy and nutritious side dish.
- Fried or boiled eggs are an excellent protein side for Jollof spaghetti.
- Fish: Pan-seared Tilapia Fish, Baked CodFish, Air Fryer Salmon Fish for extra protein and flavor.
- Suya made with skewered and grilled meat.
How to Store and Reheat the Jollof Spaghetti
If you have any leftover Jollof spaghetti, store the Jollof spaghetti in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It keeps for up to 3-4 days. Freeze Jollof spaghetti in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
To reheat the Jollof spaghetti, you can use a microwave or stovetop. If using the microwave, cover the container with a damp paper towel to prevent it from drying out. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through, until heated. If using the stovetop, add a splash of water or broth to the pan and stir until heated.
Tips for making the Jollof Spaghetti
- Use a large skillet or pot to make the sauce so that you have enough room to add the spaghetti later.
- Let the sauce simmer well for at least 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together and the sauce to thicken.
How long does it take to cook Jollof spaghetti?
The cooking time for Jollof spaghetti can vary depending on. It takes about 20-25 minutes to cook Jollof spaghetti once all the ingredients are added to the pot.
How to know when spaghetti is done?
Tasting a strand is the fastest and most accurate way to know when spaghetti is done. Ensure you cook it al dente – it should be tender but still have a little bite. Let it cook a little longer if it’s too firm, and if it’s mushy, it’s overcooked.
Other Pasta Recipes
- Easy One-Pot Ground Beef Pasta
- Cajun Jambalaya Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp and Pasta
- Spicy Chicken Spaghetti
- African Spaghetti Sauce with Meatballs
How to make Jollof Spaghetti – Jollof Spaghetti Recipe
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers
- 3 large Roma tomatoes
- 2 large onions divided
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 oz spaghetti pasta
- 4 to 4½ cups chicken beef or vegetable broth
- ½-1 cup peas, sweet corn, and carrots optional
- cooked protein of choice optional: (e.g diced chicken, shrimp, tofu)
- Blend the bell pepper, scotch bonnet, tomatoes, and onion in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat in a large skillet or pot. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent. About 3 minutes
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger and cook until fragrant – a few seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for about a minute or two until the paste is
- Add the blended sauce to the pot and stir in paprika, thyme, curry powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Pour in the chicken or beef broth, stirring constantly to create a smooth sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil on high heat.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Add the pasta, cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- If using vegetables (peas, sweet corn, carrots), stir it in at this point, mix well, and let the mixture simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve your spaghetti Jollof hot with chicken or beef and enjoy it with a side of plantains, salad, or your favorite side dish.
Let’s connect on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with you; nothing brings me more joy than seeing pictures of your creations. Tag me @cheflolaskitchen on Instagram and Facebook.
Monday 8th of May 2023
Thank you alot ❤️❤️
Thursday 11th of August 2022
I love your handwor keep it up
ADEGOKE EXCELLENCY TEMINIJESU
Tuesday 31st of August 2021
Meeen it was fantabulous
Monday 10th of May 2021
I tried this. And it’s totally amazing! Thank you
Monday 10th of May 2021
I'm glad it turned out well for you!
Sunday 7th of March 2021
I tried this the first time with another pasta and it was tasty .i tried again with spaghetti and it was so delicious. Great recipe
Thursday 15th of July 2021
I’m so glad you enjoyed it ❤️