Creamy Mushroom Chicken is a delicious and perfect dinner recipe to serve your family! This recipe is super easy to make and can be done in under 30 minutes. You’ll love how simple and savory the meal is and how much everyone will love it!
What exactly is Creamy Mushroom Chicken?
Mushroom Chicken is a savory dish made with mushrooms, chicken, and cream. The creamy sauce adds richness and flavor to the mushrooms and chicken, making it a delicious and comforting meal.
This meal works because it requires simple ingredients that you can already have in your pantry or ingredients you can easily source from your local grocery store.
This creamy Mushroom Chicken Recipe is so versatile that it can serve as a family dinner or quick lunch and also be eaten during a fancy date. It’s a perfect meal for many occasions. This dish is best served with rice or pasta.
Looking for new ways to add mushrooms to your diet? Check these out: Easy, Hearty Mushroom Rice, Garlic Sauteed Mushrooms, Blackened Salmon with Sauteed Spinach, and Mushrooms. They will fill you up and leave you wanting more!
- Chicken breasts: they are easier to cook and take less time.
- All-purpose flour to dredge the chicken and thicken the sauce.
- Oil and Butter: You will need a combination of oil and Butter to cook the chicken.
- Chicken stock: It adds more flavor to the meal
- Mushrooms: This is the star of this dish; the non-negotiable. They add a lot of texture and flavor to this meal. Cream: use heavy or whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese: freshly grated works best
- Seasoning: Italian seasoning and minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs to garnish: You can make use of parsley or other garnish of your choice.
How do you make chicken mushrooms?
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge them in flour.
- Cook chicken in oil for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Set aside chicken.
- Melt butter in a pan, then add the sliced mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cook this and stir occasionally until mushrooms have a golden brown edge.
- Add your garlic and allow to cook for about 30 seconds.
- Go ahead to add your chicken stock. Make sure to scrape any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Allow this to come to a boil, then reduce to heat to allow it to simmer and thicken.
- Add the cream and parmesan cheese. Make sure salt and pepper are added as desired.
- Add in your chicken and allow it to simmer with the sauce for another 5 minutes.
- That’s it. Your creamy Mushroom Chicken is ready. Garnish with fresh parsley as you desire.
Substitutes and Variations
Mushrooms: For this recipe, you can use any type of mushroom — white mushrooms, cremini or button, and even baby bella if you prefer. Just make sure to use fresh mushrooms rather than the canned ones — the flavor difference is huge!
Chicken: We recommend using Chicken breasts for this recipe. They are more tender, therefore, easier to work with in this recipe. You can also use chicken thighs in place of chicken breasts if that is what you prefer. The result will be just as tasty but will take longer to cook.
More about Creamy Mushroom Chicken
Can Creamy Mushroom Chicken be made in a slow cooker or Instant Pot?
Yes! Creamy Mushroom Chicken can be made in either a slow cooker or Instant Pot. It can take up to 5 hours in a slow cooker and about 20 minutes in an Instant Pot. Both methods will yield a delicious and creamy mushroom chicken that you and your family will enjoy!
Can the heavy cream in Creamy Mushroom Chicken be substituted with another ingredient?
Definitely. You can use coconut milk or Half and half in place of heavy cream if you are looking for a lighter version that will do the same trick. Coconut milk, especially, will give your dish that special coconut flavor you can resist.
Sour Cream is another amazing substitute, and you can use a combination of cream and broth to add more flavor to your meal.
How can you make Creamy Mushroom Chicken tastier?
Creamy Mushroom Chicken is already a delectable meal, but you can make it even tastier and more flavorful. Try adding more herbs and spices to the sauce or adding more vegetables like onions. You can also garnish your creamy Mushroom Chicken with fresh parsley or parmesan cheese.
If you have leftovers, keep in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. The dish will last up to 3 days. To reheat, put the dish in a pan on medium heat, stirring occasionally until it is heated through.
What side dishes pair well with Creamy Mushroom Chicken?
Creamy Mushroom Chicken can be served over rice or pasta. It also pairs well with a variety of side dishes.
Other Mushroom or Chicken Recipes to try
- Easy Hearty Mushroom Rice
- Garlic Sauteed Mushrooms
- Blackened Salmon with Sauteed Spinach and Mushroom Recipe
- Chicken and Vegetable Stir fry in Tomato Sauce
- Chicken Stir fry with Spinach
- Easy Spatchcock Chicken: Crispy, Juicy, Tender
- Brown Stew Chicken
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- 2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts sliced into 4 thin cutlet
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms or white [sliced]
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Salt and pepper to taste to taste
- Fresh herbs to garnish
- Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Then dredge them in flour.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to the pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan to a plate and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan, leave to melt, then add the sliced mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cook the mushrooms stirring occasionally, until all the water is cooked off and the mushrooms have a golden brown edge.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, scraping up any stuck bits to the bottom of the pan. Give it a good mix and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer until the sauce is reduced by half and thickened (about 3-4 minutes).
- Whisk in the cream and parmesan and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and leave it for another 5 minutes in the sauce or until it is well-cooked and thickens.
- If desired, garnish with fresh herbs before serving (parsley, basil, or chives).
Let’s connect on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with you; nothing brings me more joy than seeing pictures of your creations. Tag me @cheflolaskitchen on Instagram and Facebook.