This delicious, Easy Curry Chicken recipe is a must-try for all curry lovers! Tender chicken chunks, potatoes, cashew nuts, and veggies are cooked in a flavorful curry sauce. Serve over white rice or Chapati for an easy and flavorful meal. Enjoy!
What is Curry Chicken?
Chicken curry, also known as curry chicken, is a homemade comfort food typical to Asians and Caribbeans. It is now a widely acceptable dish worldwide with many variations.
Curry Chicken features bite-sized chicken chunks buried in a rich and creamy curry sauce and married with thick-cut vegetables.
Easy Curry Chicken Recipe
This curry chicken is made with the help of a few simple ingredients. It’s great for a weeknight dinner or for when you want to impress your friends and family with your cooking skills!
Talking about the mouth-watering satisfaction you get from curry flavor, don’t miss my Jamaican Goat Curry and Coconut Curry Fish. They are easy to cook and might soon be your go-to recipe for family dinner.
Whether a newbie or an expert at cooking chicken recipes, you will find my step-by-step guide helpful because the ingredients are straightforward and readily available. Go ahead and make an awesome dish and feel free to make it your own by customizing it.
What do you need to make Curry Chicken?
Make this tasty meal for your family with the following ingredients.
- Chicken: I love to use skinless and boneless chicken breast, but chicken thigh or any chicken parts of your choice works well too.
- Onion and Ginger: these strong aromatics always bring the best flavor out of any recipe.
- Curry powder: a key ingredient to infuse that deep curry flavor.
- Habanero: It adds a dash of heat and flavor to this recipe. If you want it to be less spicy, you can remove the habanero seeds.
- Potatoes and bell peppers are veggie options that complete this recipe.
- Black Pepper and Salt: add to taste.
- Tomato paste: add this for bright and rich red color with a touch of tomato flavor.
- Coconut Milk: It adds depth of flavor with a rich and creamy texture.
- Coconut Oil (or any other cooking oil) – for cooking the sauce.
- Cashew nuts: for some extra crunch
How to Make Curry Chicken
- Cut the chicken into bite-size and set aside in a bowl
- Sauté the Onions, Ginger, and Habanero with coconut oil (or any cooking oil) until the onions become translucent.
- Add the chicken to the onion mix and season with Curry powder, Black pepper, and Salt.
- Mix well until the chicken is covered with the curry powder and the other seasoning.
- Add the Coconut Milk and tomato paste. Dissolve the tomato paste inside the milk and cover to cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the Potatoes and Chicken stock, cover, and leave it to cook until the potato becomes tender.
- Add the Green beans, sweet peas, and any other veggies you like, and leave to simmer for a few seconds.
- Check the water and seasoning. Adjust if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!
Choosing a good Curry powder
You’ve to be selective with your choice of curry powder. The brand of curry powder you choose will determine the result you get from this recipe. I recommend that you get your curry where sampling is allowed. Smell and taste it to ensure that it is fresh.
Keep your curry in a cool dark spot to keep it fresh for use another time. Lastly, always check the expiring date. The flavor diminishes if it is not stored properly.
Tips for making Curry Chicken
- If you like to be spicier, you can add more cayenne pepper or chili flakes.
- Make it your own and add vegetables of your choice. Feel free to add spinach, broccoli, eggplant, zucchini, and cauliflower.
- If you don’t like coconut milk, you can use Greek Yoghurt instead.
- For the best results, leave your chicken to marinate overnight.
- Add your favorite vegetables to the curry sauce before serving.
- If you are vegetarian or vegan, replace the chicken with tofu and soy milk in place of dairy milk when making the curry sauce.
- Use heavy cream in place of coconut milk.
- If you want it extra creamy, add coconut cream in place of coconut milk.
How to serve Curry Chicken Recipe
This Chicken curry is great with white rice, Chapati, rice and beans, Jamaican Rice and Pea, Boiled Yams, Boiled or Baked Plantains, or Flat Bread.
How long will this recipe keep?
This curry chicken is best when it’s fresh, but you can store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and about 3 months in the freezer. Reheat them in a microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through.
How do I reheat this recipe?
To reheat your curry chicken, place it in a microwave-safe dish and heat for about 1 minute or until hot throughout. Alternatively, you can heat it on the stovetop over medium heat until heated through (about 3-5 minutes). Allow the frozen curry chicken to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before you reheat it.
Now that you’ve learned how to make this delicious curry chicken recipe, it’s time to put your skills to the test. If you want to try more of our recipes, check out our blog. We have many other great ideas for easy meals that don’t take much time or effort!
Other Favorite Chicken Recipes:
- Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
- Crispy fried Drumsticks
- Peri-Peri Chicken
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Dry Rub Roast Chicken
- Chicken Fricassée
- Harissa Chicken Wings
Thanks for reading, and happy cooking!
Easy Chicken Curry Recipe
- 1½ lb skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or any other cooking Oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 tsp ginger (minced)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp habanero (minced)
- ½ tsp fresh ginger root (grated)
- ½ lb potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (13.5ml)
- 1 to 1½ cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup roasted cashews (whole)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 2 tbsp cilantro (for garnish, chopped)
- Cut up the chicken into bite-size and set aside.
- Place oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, ginger, and habanero and cook until the onions become translucent.
- Add the chicken and season with the curry powder, black pepper salt, and black pepper. Mix until the chicken is totally covered with the seasoning.
- Add the tomato paste and coconut milk. Stir until the tomato paste dissolves inside the milk. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes over medium to low heat.
- Add the diced potatoes and chicken stock, cover it up and leave it to cook until the potato becomes tender. About 20 minutes
- Add the diced bell peppers and cashew nuts and leave to simmer for a few seconds more.
- Adjust the water (stock) content and seasoning if necessary.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve over white rice or chapati.
Let’s connect on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with you; nothing brings me more joy than seeing pictures of your creations. Tag me @cheflolaskitchen on Instagram and Facebook.
Thursday 15th of December 2022
I'm going to try your Jamaican patties, wish me luck
Chef Lola's Kitchen
Monday 19th of December 2022
I wish you goo luck, Jennifer.
Saturday 9th of July 2022
So yummy and easy to learn
Chef Lola's Kitchen
Sunday 10th of July 2022
Thank you, paul.👍
Saturday 28th of March 2020
Lola, thank you so much! Curry recipe came out GREAT. I added a bit more coconut milk towards the end cause curry was a bit too strong for me. Everyone loved it 😬
I’ll be trying out some of your other recipes too! Thanks!
Sunday 29th of March 2020
You are welcome Jojo, I'm glad the recipe worked out well for you!
Tuesday 3rd of March 2020
Thanks and God bless, i wish i could share my talents with people as well. A DIY chef who does great and interesting meal, had to rush down to your page to check for donuts
Monday 17th of February 2020
Hi, did you parboil the chicken before adding it or is it raw chicken. Thanks
Tuesday 18th of February 2020
No, I didn't parboil.