This delicious, Easy Curry Chicken recipe is a must-try for all curry lovers! Tender chicken chunks, potatoes, cashew nuts, and veggies are cooked in a flavorful curry sauce. Serve over white rice or Chapati for an easy and flavorful meal.
Easy Curry Chicken Recipe
This curry chicken is made with the help of a few simple ingredients. It’s great for a weeknight dinner or for when you want to impress your friends and family with your cooking skills!
Talking about the mouth-watering satisfaction you get from curry flavor, don’t miss my Jamaican Goat Curry and Coconut Curry Fish. They are easy to cook and might soon be your go-to recipe for family dinner.
Whether a newbie or an expert at cooking chicken recipes, you will find my step-by-step guide helpful because the ingredients are straightforward and readily available. Go ahead and make an awesome dish and feel free to make it your own by customizing it.
What is Curry Chicken?
Chicken curry, also known as curry chicken, is a homemade comfort food typical to Asians and Caribbeans. It is now a widely acceptable dish worldwide with many variations.
Chicken curry is a popular dish in many parts of the world, including India and Thailand. It has been adapted in various countries, such as Japan and Thailand. The Caribbean also has its own version of chicken curry that is quite different from its Indian counterpart but still delicious!
The Secret to a Perfect Chicken Curry
The key to an unforgettable chicken curry lies in the harmonious blend of spices, which creates a depth of flavor. A good curry powder, which is a mix of spices like coriander, cumin, turmeric, and chili pepper, serves as the foundation for your dish.
Another crucial element is the use of aromatics like onions, garlic, and ginger. These ingredients, when cooked slowly and patiently, impart a rich aroma and natural sweetness to the curry, perfectly balancing the spices.
Lastly, the choice of liquid is essential to achieve the desired consistency and taste. Coconut milk is a popular choice for its creaminess and subtle sweetness, while chicken stock or broth adds depth and savory notes to the dish.
What do you need to make Curry Chicken?
Make this tasty meal for your family with the following ingredients.
- Chicken: I love to use skinless and boneless chicken breast, but chicken thigh or any chicken parts of your choice works well too.
- Onion, garlic, and Ginger: these strong aromatics always bring the best flavor out of any recipe.
- Curry powder: a key ingredient to infuse that deep curry flavor.
- Habanero: It adds a dash of heat and flavor to this recipe. If you want it to be less spicy, you can remove the habanero seeds.
- Black Pepper and Salt: add to taste.
- Tomato sauce and paste: add this for bright and rich red color with a touch of tomato flavor.
- Coconut Milk: It adds depth of flavor with a rich and creamy texture.
- Coconut Oil (or any other cooking oil) – for cooking the sauce.
How to Make Curry Chicken
- Dice chicken and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil and cook onions until softened.
- Add garlic, ginger, and habanero, then stir in curry powder, cumin, and coriander.
- Add chicken, cook until no longer pink.
- Add tomato sauce, paste, chicken stock, and coconut milk; cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and liquid as needed. Garnish with cilantro or parsley, and serve over rice or chapati.
Tips for making Curry Chicken
- If you like to be spicier, you can add more cayenne pepper or chili flakes.
- If you don’t like coconut milk, you can use Greek Yoghurt instead.
- If you want a more traditional flavor profile, try adding turmeric or garam masala instead of cumin (or both!).
- Add your favorite vegetables to the curry sauce before serving.
- If you are vegetarian or vegan, replace the chicken with tofu and soy milk in place of dairy milk when making the curry sauce.
- Use heavy cream in place of coconut milk.
- If you want it extra creamy, add coconut cream in place of coconut milk.
How to Serve Curry Chicken Recipe
This Chicken curry is great with white rice, Chapati, rice and beans, Jamaican Rice and Pea, Boiled Yams, Boiled or Baked Plantains, or Flat Bread.
How long will this recipe keep?
This curry chicken is best when it’s fresh, but you can store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and about 3 months in the freezer. Reheat them in a microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through.
How do I reheat this recipe?
To reheat your curry chicken, place it in a microwave-safe dish and heat for about 1 minute or until hot throughout. Alternatively, you can heat it on the stovetop over medium heat until heated through (about 3-5 minutes). Allow the frozen curry chicken to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before you reheat it.
Now that you’ve learned how to make this delicious curry chicken recipe, it’s time to put your skills to the test. If you want to try more of our recipes, check out our blog. We have many other great ideas for easy meals that don’t take much time or effort!
Other Favorite Chicken Recipes:
- Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
- Crispy fried Drumsticks
- Peri-Peri Chicken
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Dry Rub Roast Chicken
- Chicken Fricassée
- Harissa Chicken Wings
Easy Chicken Curry Recipe
- 1½ lb skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or any other cooking oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root (grated)
- ½ teaspoon habanero (minced) or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 to 1½ cups chicken stock
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (13.5ml)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (for garnish, chopped)
- Cut up the chicken into bite-size and set aside.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and habanero to the skillet and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Stir in the curry powder, cumin, and coriander. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the diced chicken pieces to the skillet and cook until they are no longer pink on the outside, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, chicken stock, and coconut milk. Stir until the tomato paste dissolves inside the milk. Cover and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes over medium to low heat.
- Adjust the water (stock) content and seasoning if necessary.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve over white rice or chapati.
Let’s connect on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with you; nothing brings me more joy than seeing pictures of your creations. Tag me @cheflolaskitchen on Instagram and Facebook.
Thursday 15th of December 2022
I'm going to try your Jamaican patties, wish me luck
Chef Lola's Kitchen
Monday 19th of December 2022
I wish you goo luck, Jennifer.
Saturday 9th of July 2022
So yummy and easy to learn
Chef Lola's Kitchen
Sunday 10th of July 2022
Thank you, paul.👍
Saturday 28th of March 2020
Lola, thank you so much! Curry recipe came out GREAT. I added a bit more coconut milk towards the end cause curry was a bit too strong for me. Everyone loved it 😬
I’ll be trying out some of your other recipes too! Thanks!
Sunday 29th of March 2020
You are welcome Jojo, I'm glad the recipe worked out well for you!
Tuesday 3rd of March 2020
Thanks and God bless, i wish i could share my talents with people as well. A DIY chef who does great and interesting meal, had to rush down to your page to check for donuts
Monday 17th of February 2020
Hi, did you parboil the chicken before adding it or is it raw chicken. Thanks
Tuesday 18th of February 2020
No, I didn't parboil.