Oven baked Moin Moin recipe – I know making Moin moin in the oven is not a new thing for most of us but the question I always hear is, how can I bake Moin Moin (moi moi) in the Oven without it getting dry and crispy at the edge? I will show you how to go about making your Oven baked Moin Moin that will be moist, yet firm just like the steamed method.
Moin Moin which has several other names like Moi Moi, Moyin Moyin, or Olele is a savory meal which almost everyone likes in Nigeria
Another question I often get asked is, can I use the Nigerian Honey Beans (Ewa Oloyin) or the Nigerian Brown Beans for making Moin Moin? and my answer is always Yes. You can definitely use any of these varieties of Beans.
I used both Palm oil and vegetable Oil for this recipe but feel free to use either of the two
Make sure the peeled Beans is really soft before blending it, this will help prevent gritty Beans batter which is not good for a good Moin Moin
Blend your Beans with a very good Blender until it as fine as it could be. I use Ninja but there are other good ones out there also
Stirring the blended Beans is very important as this will introduce air into the batter which will in turn give the Moin Moin a good texture.
Feel free to bake the Moin Moin in any pan size but I will recommend using a smaller pan so that the Moin Moin will not over stay in the Oven since a bigger pan will take longer to get done.
So, here is how to make Your Moin Moin in the Oven without the nasty crispy edges, your Moin Moin will come out firm, yet, moist. Enjoy!
Oven baked Moin Moin - Baked Moi Moi
- 1 cup of dry Beans
- 1 Medium Onion
- 3 Tablespoons Veg. Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Palm Oil
- 1 Red Bell pepper
- 1 Habanero Pepper
- Pinch of stock cube
- 3/4 Cup deboned Cooked Mackerelre
- 3 Hard boiled Eggs
- Salt to taste
- Stock for blending You can use water
- Soak, peel and clean the Beans
- Place a pan half filled with water inside the Oven and preheat the Oven to 350°F
- Blend the Beans with the Red bell pepper, Habanero pepper and Onion until it becomes as fine as it could be.
- Pour the batter into a Bowl, add the Salt, Seasoning cube, Mackerel, and Oil then mix it thoroughly so as to get enough air incorporated into your batter
- Distribute the batter into the Muffin Pan or any baking pan you choose to use.
- Place it inside the preheated Oven and bake for 30 minutes or till a knife inserted into the middle of the Bread comes out fairly clean.
- Serve with Garri, Bread, Rice or eat as is. Enjoy!
Other Recipes you might be interested in: