Arugula salad is a light and refreshing dish that features the peppery and slightly bitter flavor of arugula leaves. This recipe combines arugula with complementary ingredients to create a delicious salad. It is easy to make, and I bet this will be your go-to healthy salad in no time.
This quick and simple Arugula Salad recipe is a great way to incorporate healthy greens into your diet without sacrificing taste. Whether you’re serving it as a side dish or enjoying it as a main course, this salad will leave you feeling satisfied and nourished.
When it comes to light and refreshing salads, arugula takes center stage with its distinctive peppery flavor and delightful crunch.
Arugula is not only delicious but also packed with essential nutrients. This leafy green is a rich source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as folate, calcium, and iron. Its vibrant green color indicates a high content of chlorophyll, a powerful antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage. Arugula is also low in calories and carbohydrates, making it an excellent choice for those looking to maintain a healthy weight.
Dressings and Seasonings
Choosing the right dressing is crucial to enhance the flavors of an arugula salad. This will allow the peppery arugula taste to shine. For this recipe, I made a simple dressing of EVO, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, honey, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
Creamy dressings like yogurt-based or tahini-based options can add richness and depth to the salad. Seasonings such as fresh herbs, cracked black pepper, or a sprinkle of sea salt can further elevate the overall taste.
Customizing Arugula Salad
The bold and slightly spicy flavor of arugula pairs beautifully with a variety of ingredients. It acts as a perfect complement to sweet and tangy flavors, such as citrus fruits, strawberries, or balsamic vinegar.
The peppery notes of arugula can also balance rich and creamy components like parmesan cheese, goat cheese, feta, or avocado. Nuts and seeds, such as walnuts or pine nuts, add a delightful crunch and texture to the salad. By combining these ingredients, you can create a harmonious blend of flavors in your arugula salad.
The customization doesn’t end there! You can even switch things up if you want some protein with your arugula salad. Consider adding grilled chicken or shrimp. The possibilities with this arugula salad recipe are endless.
Ingredients for Arugula Salad
- Fresh arugula: the main ingredient in arugula salad. Ensure that it is washed and dried.
- Cherry tomatoes: adds a burst of sweetness and acidity to the dish.
- Parmesan cheese: This adds in a salty and savory flavor that complements the peppery taste of the arugula. Shaved or grated Parmesan cheese is often used and can be found at the grocery store or shaved from a whole block.
- Toasted walnuts & Dried cranberries: adds a crunchy texture and sweet flavor that complements the peppery taste of the arugula.
- Dressing; Extra virgin olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, Fresh lemon juice, Honey, Dijon mustard Salt and pepper, to taste: Adjust the ratio of ingredients to your liking based on personal taste preferences.
How to make Arugula salad
- In a large salad bowl, mix arugula, cherry tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, toasted walnuts, and cranberries.
- Then, in a small bowl, whisk olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Adjust seasoning to taste, drizzle over the salad and toss gently until well coated.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your delicious Arugula salad!
What does arugula go well with?
Arugula’s versatility allows it to work well with a wide range of flavors and ingredients, making it a fantastic choice for creating delicious and healthy salads. Here are some suggestions:
- Pasta: If you desire a more savory dish, arugula can be added to pasta dishes for an added burst of flavor.
- Pizzas and Sandwiches: You can also serve arugula with your pizzas and sandwiches.
- Fruits: Fresh berries like strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries can add a touch of sweetness that contrasts nicely with the arugula’s peppery notes.
- Proteins: Grilled chicken, shrimp, or salmon can turn a simple arugula salad into a more substantial and satisfying meal.
- Dressing: When it comes to dressings, arugula is best paired with tangy or acidic dressings to balance out its bitterness. Lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, or a homemade vinaigrette are all great options.
What is arugula salad made of?
Arugula salad is a simple and delicious salad that is typically made with fresh arugula leaves and ingredients such as cherry tomatoes, shaved Parmesan cheese, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar are added to the salad to enhance its flavor and texture.
What does arugula salad taste like?
Arugula has a distinctive and unique flavor profile that sets it apart from other leafy greens. It is often described as having a peppery, slightly bitter, and slightly nutty taste. The flavor can vary depending on the maturity of the arugula leaves, with younger leaves having a milder flavor and more mature leaves having a stronger and more pronounced peppery taste.
Can I make this arugula salad recipe ahead?
Yes, many arugula salad recipes can be made ahead of time. Preparing the salad ingredients in advance can save time and make it easier to assemble the salad later. However, it’s important to keep in mind that some ingredients may become wilted or soggy over time and may need to be added just before serving.
If you’re planning to make arugula salad ahead of time, follow these simple tips to keep it fresh:
- Wash and dry the arugula leaves thoroughly and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Chop up any additional ingredients you plan to include in the salad and store them separately in the refrigerator.
- Make the dressing and store it separately in a jar or airtight container in the refrigerator.
- When you’re ready to serve the salad, simply combine all of the ingredients and toss with the dressing.
- Voila, you have your arugula salad ready for guests or quick weeknight dinners.
Storage Tips for Arugula Salad
It is important to store arugula salad properly in order to keep it fresh and crisp for longer, ensuring that you can enjoy its flavor and nutritional benefits for several days.
- Avoid storing your arugula salad for too long. No matter how well you store it, salad greens always taste best when they are fresh. Ensure to consume your salad within a few days of preparing it, and if possible, avoid storing it for more than a week.
- Store your arugula salad in airtight containers inside the refrigerator. This helps maintain its freshness and avoid wilting. Use a paper towel or a dry cloth to remove any excess moisture from the arugula before storage. Moisture trapped in the container can make your arugula wilt faster.
- Lastly, you can revive wilted arugula with a simple cold water bath and ice. Soak your arugula leaves in cold water for a few minutes, then rinse with fresh water and pat dry with a paper towel. Place the arugula in a bowl and add a handful of ice cubes, then cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and store in the fridge for about an hour. This should help revive the leaves and bring them back to life.
Other Salads you need to try
- Restaurant Style Caesar Salad
- Creamy, Tangy & Delicious Egg Salad Recipe
- How To Make Amazing Fruit Salad
- Classic Summer Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Classic Creamy Potato Salad – Potluck Delight
- Black Eyed Peas Salad with simple vinaigrette dressing
- Avocado Chimichurri Chicken Salad
- Quick and Easy Tomato Salad
Refreshing Arugula Salad Recipe
- 6 cups arugula fresh, washed, and dried
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shaved
- 1/4 cup walnuts toasted, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl, combine the arugula, cherry tomatoes, shaved Parmesan cheese, toasted walnuts, and dried cranberries.
- In a separate small bowl or jar, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Make sure all the ingredients are evenly coated with the dressing.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your delicious Arugula salad!
Let’s connect on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with you; nothing brings me more joy than seeing pictures of your creations. Tag me @cheflolaskitchen on Instagram and Facebook.