Turkey Stew – Who doesn’t like the sound of that! This Turkey stew is a classic affair. It is deeply flavored and inexpensive to make.
Turkey stew is one of my most beloved comfort food of all time. This stew is made with Peppers, Tomatoes, and Onions. Other add-ins like Ginger, Garlic, Tomato paste are also added together with some spices.
Honestly, cooking the Turkey stew is very easy but as easy as it may seem, building up your flavor can be an issue.
By now most of you all know that I like Turkey wings and I have a couple of recipes here to proof that:
- Delicious Oven-Baked Turkey Wings
- Turkey salad sandwich
- Smothered Turkey Wings
- Crispy Oven Roasted Turkey Wings
Let’s get into the business of the day.
If you are familiar with making stews that contain peppers and Tomatoes, you will discover that when you blend the peppers, it tends to come out too watery which will result in a longer cooking time. I will share a tip with you on how you can blend the peppers together and still achieve a thick consistency.
Once you have washed the peppers, Onions, and Tomatoes, the next thing to do is to cut them into chunks. This will make it easy for you to blend the peppers.
Start by adding the pepper inside the blender in bits then add sufficient water to blend just the small quantity of pepper in the blender.
once the peppers have been blended for a couple of seconds and it’s becoming liquefied then you can start adding the other chunks of pepper inside the blender. At this point, don’t bother adding any extra water, the liquid in the blender is sufficient enough to blend it.
The next thing I do is to boil the peppers for about 10 to 15 minutes in order to reduce more of its water content. Also, this will minimize the raw taste of the pepper. The pepper can be frozen at this point and you may thaw it when you are ready to use it for your stew or any other purpose.
Now let’s cook the stew:
Preheat the cooking oil in a pot cooking oil preheated in this pan it’s very hot then throw in the diced onions the bay leaf and a little bit of thyme mix everything together thoroughly and leave it on the stove-top for about three minutes and this is going to allow the flavors of the onion thyme and bay leaf to come together properly.
Now add the boiled pepper stir together, cover it up eave it to cook for about 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally in order to prevent it from burning. season, add Turkey and leave it to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
That is it! You can serve this stew over a plate of white Rice, Spaghetti, Couscous, you can even serve as a dip for your bread. Enjoy!
If you like this Turkey Stew, you may also want to check out these other delicious recipes:
- Jamaican oxtail stew
- Meatballs in Ata dindin
- Pepper Soup
- Easy Chicken Curry
- Chicken Stir Fry with spinach
- Chicken and vegetable stir fry
- Smothered Turkey wings
- simple African chicken Pepper Soup
- West African Peanut soup (Maafe)
- Goat Meat Pepper soup
- Banga Soup
- Nigerian Chicken Stew
Tomato Stew With Smoked Turkey Wings
- 3 Red Bell Peppers
- 4 Plum Tomatoes
- 2 Fresno peppers optional
- 2 Habanero
- 1 Onion Blend with the peppers
- 1 Onion Diced
- 0.5 Cup Chicken Stock
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger root
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1.5 Tsp Curry Powder
- ¼ to ½ Cup Vegetable Oil Use to your preference
- Salt To Taste
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 to 2 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- White Pepper To Taste
- Black Pepper To Taste
- 2 Seasoning Cubes
- Wash the peppers, Onions, and Tomatoes then cut them into chunks and blend together with the Garlic, Ginger, and Tomato paste until it becomes smooth.
- Boil the pepper on the stove top for about 10 minutes. (See note above)
- Preheat the oil in a pot. Once the Oil is hot, add the diced onion, bay leaf, and Thyme. Then fry till the onions become limp.
- Stir in the boiled pepper. Cover it up and leave to cook for 10 t0 15 minutes.
- Season with Thyme, Curry powder, White powder, Black powder, Salt and stock cubes. Add your choice of Meat and cook for another 5 minutes or till you achieve your desired consistency.
- When cooking the stew, make sure you keep an eye on it, sometimes it gets too thick and you may need to add water or stock at this point.
- Add the spices and mix together thoroughly so that all these ingredients can come together perfectly well. At this point, you are free to add some water or stock (if necessary) to the stew to lighten it up to your taste.
- There is a need for a protein source in this stew which can either be Meat (Beef), Chicken, Fish, Turkey... Though I used smoked Turkey wings for this recipe, feel free to use any other ''protein source'' of your choice.
- If you are a vegetarian, you can go for Tofu or any other Meat substitute. Let it cook for another five minutes or thereabout so that all these ingredients will have time to interact together in the pot.
You can find me on Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with all of you!
If you make this Carrot Cake recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen
KIMBERLY R LINDSEY
Sunday 7th of February 2021
How much tomato paste it doesn’t indicate in the recipe.
Friday 23rd of July 2021
Hi Kimberly, apologies for the late response. I have updated the recipe to reflect that. Thank you.
Thursday 9th of May 2019
How do you cook the smoked Turkey? Do u boil, grill or fried it? I boiled and grilled it before in the oven but it didn't come nice. Pls could you explain what to do with the smoked turkey before adding it to the stew? Thank you very much in advance.
Wednesday 3rd of June 2020
Smoked turkey comes already cooked....
Thursday 30th of August 2018
Your cooking is so wonderful,i would to learn how to bake cakes,it would be a pleasure to get ideas from you ma
Friday 14th of September 2018
Thanks, Winifred, I have a couple of cake recipes on this site. However, if you have a request for a specific recipe, kindly let me know I will try to put it up.
Saturday 11th of August 2018
E Pele MA, Love your cooking, butI have kids and dinner is always a challenge.Please I need dinner ideas for my family. easy food for busy mom. Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you in anticipation.
Tuesday 14th of August 2018
E seun ma. I will be working on your request soon.